Using templates save you lots of time when it comes to deploying virtual machines. And if you are looking to get a slight edge on your deployments in lab or production using customization specifications may be the way you want to go.
Here are some quick steps to deploy using this method:
- From the home page of vCenter Web click VMs and Templates
- Right click on the template of choice and select New VM from Template…
- Enter the name of your virtual machine guest as you would refer to it in vCenter. Choose your datacenter and click Next to continue
- If you are using clusters, choose your cluster and click Next to continue
- Select your datastore and click Next
- On the select clone option screen choose customise the operating system option; you may also set the machine to power on after creation to start the process which customises the guest – Click Next to continue
- On our last screen we are shown our customization choices. Choose your template configuration and click next
- Clicking Next on the confirmation screen start our deployment
And that’s all folks — posted this for a friend with screenshots to illustrate the process.