I am facing an issue where my Exchange 2013 server has run into trouble mounting databases. Also the Microsoft Exchange Replication has crashing repeatedly.

Attempting to mount database result in error during the crash events.
Error: An Active Manager operation failed.
Error: The database action failed.
Error: The Microsoft Exchange Replication service may not be running on server

It becomes a race condition to mount the database during the very brief window between the service restarting and then crashing

I’ve attempted:

Restarting the “Microsoft Exchange Replication” Service – crashes with Event ID 7031 – The Microsoft Exchange Replication service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 5000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Restarting the “Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Replication” Service

Restarting the “Microsoft Exchange Mailbox Transport Delivery & Submission” Services

Restarting the host server of Exchange Server 2013

I’ve check that the Exchange Server has proper communication to the domain controllers.

I’ve check that the logon server for the Exchange Server was also in good health.

The only new introduction to our Exchange environment has been the CU6 update released on August 26, 2014. Source:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2961810

We recently rebooted our Exchange for maintenance and these issues started.

I hope to be able to provide more info on this as I search for a solution.

 

Update: 2014-09-19

Office 365 Support are no help and directed me to work with the Product Support Team.  Product Support indicates known bugs in my situation, although they have not been made public and wouldn’t go into further details. 

What they now want me to  turn up a new Exchange 2013 Server. Download and install CU6 (again) and install it on the new server. 

Once installed and working they want me to perform a “Forklift” migration, of my databases. 

 

Update: 2014-09-29 – Problem Fixed 

So it turns out, that the cause of my issue came from an application event log in the following location which contain corrupted items:  Applications and Services Logs / Microsoft / Exchange / MailboxDatabaseFailureItems / Operational

Once removed I was able to restart the service and all was working as normal. Command issued:  Wevtutil.exe cl “Microsoft-Exchange-MailboxDatabaseFailureItems/Operational”