Here are some steps I used to restore my saved HP ProCurve configuration file to my new switch using USB and the console cable.
- Connect your console cable to a computer
- Load up a program such as putty. Change the connection type to Serial then click Open
- Your screen will turn black. Press enter 2 or 3 times to initiate the connection and the ProCurve switch should give you a response.
- In the command line type configure to enter the configuration mode.
- Type show configuration to verify the current configuration.
- Plug in your USB Stick that has the configuration file; be sure that the USB stick has been formatted to FAT32 and that the file in is the root of the drive
- From the command line type: copy usb startup-config <config_file_name> press enter and your switch will reload with the new configuration
*to save a config you would type: copy startup-config usb <config_file_name> and press enter.