In the past I use to host my own email server here at the SOHO of jermsmit.com. Today I found myself in need of setting up alerts for some of my network based equipment. So I used Gmail (thanks Google) for this task.
To make this work you need the following:
- A gmail account (make one if you don’t have one
- Outgoing server address: smtp.gmail.com
- User (‘@gmail.com’) and Password for your account
- Port Address to use is: 587
- You must use authentication and the client needs to support SSL
Configure this and your all set.