I am in the process of moving VirtualBox vdi’s over the VMware ESXi host so what better chance is there to post the process I am taking to make this happen. To perform this “magic” trick you will be using the VBoxManger tool to clone the VirtualBox disk into VMware formatted disk types.
I am using the following steps to convert my disks.
- Open a terminal or ssh into machine hosting the virtual box disks
- Ensure the disk is not being used by a running system
- Locate the disk image, change into the directory
- Type the following command:
VBoxManage clonehd “<vdi file >” <new.vmdk> –format vmdk
- You can monitor the output as it will look somewhat like this via the console: 0%…10%…20%…30%…40%…50%…60%…
Once completed you have your new VMDK disk image which you can then copy over to a VMware Player, or ESX host to run from there.
Please note: You can do similar to above with other disk formats, however in this post I am just covering VDI to VMDK.
More info on VBoxManage here