This week like many weeks before it we are doing laundry as we normally do when noticed a smoke smell coming from our laundry room.  The smell was like that of a cigarette. The smell seemed to be coming from the dryer.

So why not open it up and take a look inside.

On inspection I noticed that the inside of the dyer was filled with a carpet of dryer lint.
Dryer lint built up over a five year period of usage and the lack of proper maintenance

This amount of dyer lint would cause excessive heat build up in your dyer causing the thermal sensor to stop the dyer before your items are dyed out. In-fact on further inspection this lint which covered the the bottom of the dyer seem to be burnt; shockingly to my surprise.  This would eventually cause a fire

The advice I can now offer any of you, is to open up and clean out your dryer *NOW* if you have never done so.
The risk of property damage and your life is a reality and all can be avoided with some simple steps.

While I was in the dyer I was able to remove the fins on the internal drum to remove the lost change and even found a few missing socks

Info on my dryer

Type: Kenmore Elite

Video I found online and used to assist me in working on my dryer

 

Other Photos 

Lint Tray assembly

Dryer Exhaust