You are looking for a way to restart Windows 8 from a remote desktop session. You have come to the right place. I’m going to help you get past missing the good old Windows 7 method of clicking Start > Windows Security > and Restart / Shutdown.
For Windows 8 things have changed. The way I have been doing it is as follows:
- In The Windows 8 desktop select search from the charms menu
- Then select APPS and, type ‘run‘
- Click Run, then enter to show the run box.
- You will now type shutdown -i to how you the remote shutdown dialog
remote shutdown dialog
- Under Computers click Add and type in the name of the computer. You can also use 127.0.0.1 or localhost
- Chose Shutdown, Restart, or Annotate Unexpected Shutdown
You can also warn users of the action (basically setting a timed countdown)