I am unable to connect to a VPN server hosted as a guest on VMware ESXi 5.5. After much troubleshooting it seems that the issue with my PPTP connections is that GRE isn’t making it to my server.
In my logs I found the following:
vyatta pptpd: CTRL: PTY read or GRE write failed (pty,gre)=(6,7)
vyatta pptpd: GRE: read(fd=6,buffer=8058640,len=8196) from PTY failed: status = -1 error = Input/output error, usually caused by unexpected termination of pppd, check option syntax and pppd logs
Fix / Workaround:
Change the guest machines adapter type to VMXNET3
Steps to do this:
- Connect directly to the ESXi 5.5 using the vSphere Client.
- Select the virtual machine, Right Click
- Click Edit Settings… to open the Virtual Machine Properties window.
- On the Hardware tab, select the Network Adapter and click Remove.
- Click Add.
- From the Device Type middle panel, select Ethernet Adapter.
- Click Next.
- Choose Adapter Type VMXNET3
I hope you enjoyed this post
Please visit me on Facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/jermsmitcom & via twitter: #jermsmit