It was complex, and it was difficult; but I was able to get a hybrid setup with my exchange server (on-premises) with Office 365
I am still working on other items such as logging in with a default domain suffix of my choosing but more on that later.
The issue I had faced involved sending emails from my email account now hosted in O365 to emails on my On-Premise Exchange Server. Each attempt would fail.
So I followed the steps listed in the following kb article kb2730609
- Sign in to the Office 365 portal (https://portal.microsoftonline.com) as a global admin.
- In the header, click Admin, and then click Exchange.
- In the left navigation pane of the Exchange Admin Center, click Mail Flow, and then click Accepted Domains.
- Select the domain that is set up for the hybrid deployment, and then click Details.
- Select Shared, and then click Save.
As I said prior somethings were complex and I will address that as this was only part of my resolution