It’s been about 2 years now and well it was time for me to rebuild my PS3 Media Server
The last time I made a write up about this; I gave a few steps and left some out. Here is my rebuild and steps I took to get it working.
I started off by installing a fresh copy Ubuntu Server.
After the updates, I was ready to go.
Like the last build I did the following:
apt-get install mplayer mencoder ffmpeg vlc vlc-nox
apt-get install openjdk-7-jre-headless
apt-get install sshfs smbfs
The ssh and smb fs is used to mount remote storage locally if needed
After that has completed I move my way over to http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/ choosing the latest Linux build.
Latest Version: PS3 Media Server 1.52.1 – Linux/Unix
Extracting this with tar xzf <filename>
I then moved the pms files to a new folder location.
/opt/pms/ ; you can also choose your own, and it’s entirely up to you.
mv ~/pms-linux-x.xx.x/ /opt/pms
Then I changed into the directory
I make the following scripts executable
chmod +x PMS.sh
chmod +x linux/tsmuxer
I then modify the PMS.conf file
cp /opt/pms/PMS.conf /opt.pms/PMS.conf.backup
nano /opt/pms/PMS.conf ; there are many options here, I’m sorry but I am not going into this during this post. I will suggest to you to set “thumbnails = false” to speed things up
The only thing I had changed in this file was the directory where I have my video media files
/media/video ; this data doesn’t exist on my server. It’s shared on another system and I am connecting to this using smbfs (smbmount)
Now it’s time to setup the startup script
nano startpms *this will create a new file to start the server*
Add the following lines:
smbmount //host/video/ /media/video/ -o user=username,pass=1234pass
nohup ./PMS.sh &
Save the file and make it executable by typing: chmod +x startpms
Now you issue the following command: something I did not do the last time
After a quick reboot of my server, I again have a running DLNA / UPNP Media Server running on a Linux box.