Software Technical

Outlook rules not working after Exchange 2010 migration

Last night I moved my email account from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010.  All went well with the move and email flowing as expected.   Outside of the issue of me not having email sent to my phone or the ability to check webmail all else was fine. I decided that I had reached the end of my testing, so I moved my account back to Exchange 2007.  Again I moved my mailbox without any issue that I could recognize, until I noticed that my outlook rules were no longer working.

I attempted to recreate the rules from outlook and owa in both cases this did not work.  I am now off to searching Google for answers.  I’ll let you know if I find something…

– Took some time to go searching –

It looks like this is a known issues int he technet forums.  One of the MSFT’s indicated a plan for a permanent fix for this in the next Exchange 2007 SP3 RU7.  There wasn’t a specified release data given.  I don’t think I can wait that long.  I may take the export current mailbox to PST and delete mailbox, create new mailbox and import PST method.  This seems to have worked for users who have done so.

– Took some time to go searching  (again) –

I think I have a solution for this.  I attempted to remove all my rules from OWA (outlook web access) and that wasn’t working.  Later on I found out (via a forum post) that junk email filter is for the most part a rule like that of email rules.   I disabled this and saved, deleted all my rules and recreated them.  Now my rules work once more w/o the need of a RU update or deletion of my mailbox.

Here are some useful steps

Log into webmail (Outlook Web Access)
Delete rules
Disable junk email filtering and save the changes.

This should fix it.  You can then enable junk email filtering if needed