VLC For iPhone and iPad is awesome and there is no doubt about that. Complete with AirPlay support, multiple ways to load files into the video app, real-time video filters, playback speed manipulation, subtitles and more (DropBox Support).
It seems that its not yet available in the US App Store as I have found out this evening. However from what I can tell from a few blogs its being rolled out. If you have connections who will allow you to VPN into a network in another country you can download this now, or simply wait; which I did not.
VLC for iOS requires iOS 5.1 or later. It runs on any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, including the first iPad
Here are some of the features
- Play all files, in all formats, including exotic ones, like classic VLC media player.
- Play MKV, multiple audio tracks (including 5.1), and subtitles tracks (including SSA!).
- Support for network streams, including HLS, MMS or RTSP.
- Include video filters, playback speed manipulation, and fine seeking.
- A video media library, with WiFi Upload, Dropbox integration and optional passcode lock.
- Integration for bluetooth headsets and AirPlay.
- Supports iOS 5.1 or later including the first iPad.
- Completely free, libre and open source.